The features that make one olive oil different from another are:
- Acidity,Colour,Aroma,Flavour .
The result of optimizing all these characteristics will provide an excellent extra virgin olive oil, the best of all olive oils. These characteristics are given by:
- Its origin , Its farmland and Its altitude , The crop management , Climatic conditions .
Defining the quality of olive oil is not easy, because the quality is not an absolute value,but depends on all sorts of criteria .
The highest quality olive oil is obtained when the fruits are ripe and healthy before harvesting.
The best olive oil quality criteria depend on accurate and objective physical-chemical values such as:
- This is the main reference used by consumers, as is indicated on the package labels. Keep in mind that this data can be misleading if it is not taken into account whether it is virgin or refined oil. The acidity is a measure of the free fatty acids present in the oil. A high rating of acidity in oil means that the oil has undergone certain changes with consequent effects on the aroma and flavour. The acid value of virgin oil does not usually exceed 0.5%.
- Indicates the amount of active oxygen that the olive oil contains, and reflects both its risk of oxidation and its preservation state. Virgin olive oils for consumption must not exceed a peroxide measurement of 18 (18 mill equivalents of oxygen per kilogram of oil).
- This is the K-270 index. This parameter is used to detect compounds containing unsaturated oil. An extra virgin olive oil should not exceed the value of 0.20, and in ordinary fine virgin oil, the value should not exceed 0.25. This figure also indicates the purity of the oil because the interference of industrial.
Moisture and volatile substances:
As an indication of a good manufacturing process, the presence (even in small amounts) of water and other volatile substances which promote the process of rancidity should be avoided. Regulations only accept 0.10% in moisture and volatile substances. Through refining processes we can achieve oils with a lower acidity than natural oil, but this does not mean that they are of a better quality.